SNV30239

SNV30239

Blogging about

I love blogging about... books

Thursday 7 June 2018

A day at Bowood House and Gardens

 
There's only one garden I've visited in Wiltshire before and that's Stourhead. I first saw it in my teens  - a Sunday in Summer and my parents urged me to join them on a day and drive out. I wasn't keen to be fair, but when I got there I was completely overwhelmed and fell in love with the beauty of the Capability Brown designed garden and parkland.
 
That's exactly what happened on my visit to Bowood House and Garden, near Calne last month.
 
I was on a visit with about twenty other members of the Garden Media Guild. First off, we were greeted by Lord Lansdowne, the owner of Bowood House for a personally guided tour of the Woodland Garden.
 
 
 
 


This was not a whistle stop tour - oh n0 - this was a leisurely stroll through thirty acres, being introduced to a place which for him is a passion.

No wonder, what a lovely space. The bluebells were still out , huge drifts under the canopies of trees, and wildflowers dotting the landscape by the stream.

Then we were shown the huge rhododendrons, azaleas and magnolias which were introduced here many years ago and which create such a wonderful show for about six weeks of each year.



The colours the size, the planting and the lasndscaping....there was so much to admire.





When Lord Lansdowne said that this is where his final resting place will be , I was envisioning perhaps a natural burial in the Jubilee Garden where he spends so much of his time. Oh no, there's a rather grand and beautiful mausoleum designed by Robert Adam in another part of the garden!






 
One of Lord Lansdowne's favourite groups of rhododendrons is called the Bowood Collection.
"Oh my mother's just around the corner" he pointed and it sounded as if an elderly lady would be joining us. His eyes twinkled as he showed us the plant named after her. Mind you he's got named after him too.
 



On a mid week morning, there were couples walking their dogs, others having a picnic, a group of women painting some of the vistas and plants for posterity....and there was plenty of room for everyone. This is a garden to get lost in, to admire and rest....

The Woodland Garden closes this Sunday until the end of next April. If you can get there this weekend, do go, but if not, make a definite date in your diary for next year as this is well worth seeing.

However, there's still plenty of time to visit Bowood House itself plus acres and acres of parkland and the Walled Garden this summer.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment