SNV30239

SNV30239

Blogging about

I love blogging about... books

Friday 22 May 2020

Foodie Friday - cooking a courgette kuku


For an easy lunch or perhaps a light meal in the early evening, sometimes my thoughts turn to a tortilla or even better, a frittata. I've always liked Nigel Slater's broad bean frittata recipe, but the other night, I fancied something different. I still wanted eggs though, and luckily there's no shortage of eggs in our village. Willie and Kate's hens at the end of our lane don't know it's lockdown, and haven't been put on furlough.

I sat at the kitchen table, with a glass of wine, having a leisurely look through some of my cookbooks and I found the recipe I wanted in this book., which I got last year when I began ordering a weekly box of organic vegetables ....



 I soon found a recipe for a courgette kuku. I'm all for a bit of alliteration in a title, so was intrigued and not knowing what a kuku was, I read on eagerly.

It's a Persian version of an omelette, cooked in a pan on top of the stove, with lots of herbs and flavourings. Sounded good, but  did I have all the ingredients?

I quickly scanned the fridge and my spice cupboards.Garlic yes, turmeric, yes, nutmeg, ground ginger, ground coriander and cumin all present and accounted for. I knew there were plenty of chives and mint (the herb that just gives giving)  in the garden  and a huge jug of flat-leaved parsley . I didn't have any dill but pressed on regardless...

I set to work.....





And hey presto, within minutes, there was a lovely dish served with a side salad, yoghurt and some turkish bread to mop of up the tangy lemon and mustard salad dressing.

And that's it...the recipe advises to wait at least five minutes  before serving ...and yes, fritattas and kukus are usually best served when they are slightly cooler.


 I was very hungry though, so ignored the advice , slapped the kuku on our plates and started eating! Delicious......

 This kuku was full of flavour yet not over spicy. My husband and I both loved it, and I will definitely make this easy recipe again and again, adding other vegetables possibly. Who knew I would love a kuku?

How to cook a kuku

You can find the recipe here on the Riverford website


Meanwhile, there's lots of other recipes, perfect for this time of year, in the  Riverford Organic Farmers Spring and Summer Cooking with a veg box, written by Guy Watson with Kirsty Hale , Anna Colquhoun, Rob Andrew and other Riverford cooks. 

One of my favourite recipes from this book is fish, fennel and tomatoes in a bag which I cooked last week, and a  rosemary and chard gratin. Another few weeks and the silver chard  growing in my garden will be just perfect for that recipe again -  meanwhile I reckon it won't be long until I cook another courgette kuku......








































































































No comments:

Post a Comment