SNV30239

SNV30239

Blogging about

I love blogging about... books

Tuesday 18 August 2020

Blueberry days





There’s something about growing blueberries facing your kitchen door. They’re in a large pot in the sunniest and most sheltered part of the courtyard and they are in direct view as I stand at the sink. I watch them grow and haven't had to net the fruit at all from the birds at all so far. I like this variety  called Duke, which I got from Sutton’s Seeds a couple of years ago and has been such a reliable performer.

 

Last week though,the number of blackberries on the bush started to decline rapidly. Who was the phantom blueberry picker? I managed to get proof... 






 .The culprit was none other than Jasper, my 17 month old grandson who was staying with us for five days. He loves blueberries and has them most days for breakfast either sprinkled on top of his porridge, or in a pancake. I caught him in the act and was worried that maybe he had eaten some which weren’t ripe.

 But oh no, he knew exactly which ones were suitable, and popped them into his mouth, one by one, hiding the evidence, yet still managing to look angelic. 


It became his morning ritual to go out with my daughter and pick his own blueberries for breakfast, and he’s been told that he can’t pick anything else in the garden and put it in his mouth. In the meantime, Jasper has learnt that you can grow what he likes to eat, and I’ve learnt that I need to order an extra blueberry bush to cope with the extra demand. I think he needs his very own blueberry bush too .

After all, it’s never too early to introduce a child into the wonderful world of grow your own., is it?

No comments:

Post a Comment