SNV30239

SNV30239

Blogging about

I love blogging about... books

Friday 27 August 2021

Foodie Friday, - making Nigella’s chilli jam

Earlier this year, I rescued a chilli plant from "death row" at a garden centre.

You know, the few rows of plants which range from the mildly unkempt, the bone dry and drooping or the ones for all hope is lost.

This particular chilli plant was a third of its original price and had possibilities, so I thought it was well worth with a punt. I was right, it blossomed with some tender loving care, so much so, I had a slight surfeit of chillis.

I'd never made any jam from them, so spent a satisfying hour or so rifling through my cookbooks and scanning online to find the perfect recipe.

I found it, and after making my second batch in less than three weeks (that's how good this chilli jam is) , I can confirm that is absolutely delicious.

It is from Nigella Lawson and is incredibly easy.

 



Whizzing chillies and red peppers in a food processor is easy peasy. So is throwing some jam sugar and white wine vinegar together (Nigella uses cider vinegar but I hadn't any) and heating in a preserving pan until all the sugar is dissolved. I did use 100 ml less of white wine vinegar as I didn’t have enough

Adding the flecks of chillis and peppers isn't taxing, and neither is bringing the mixture to a rollicking boil for ten minutes, before pouring into sterilised jam jars.

It's literally that simple and the jam sets beautifully just as Nigella tells you it will. I didn't have to faff around with small plates from the fridge and trying to find out if it would set. It simply does.




I can't believe I've not found this recipe before. After all, I've adored Nigella's writing since "How to Eat" was published and have other books of hers on my bookshelves. So how did I miss it? I haven't got a copy of Nigella Christmas, that's why.

That will be remedied, after all it's only 120 days until Christmas and it would be good to have some recipes to try. 

Meanwhile, if you want to try making this chilli jam, here's the link to Nigellas's website.


https://www.nigella.com/recipes/chilli-jam








No comments:

Post a Comment