SNV30239

SNV30239

Blogging about

I love blogging about... books

Sunday 6 January 2013

A new year and a treat for 2013

 A new year , a fresh start.....there's something so invigorating about a new year isn't there? A year full of possibilities, potential and new beginnings. A chance to take stock, to hope, to make the most of what the next twelve months have to offer.

I've promised myself a  major treat this year. Something which will give me hours of pleasure, make me laugh, cry and think....and do you know what the best thing  of all about this delicious aural treat is? It's not going to cost me a penny.

I'm going to listen to the complete archive of Desert Island Discs which is available on the BBC website, in chrnological order from the very first broadcast. I can't wait.

For those of you living abroad (and there's lots of you reading the blog in Australia, USA, Canada and France) Desert Island Discs is a wonderful , must listen to programme on Radio 4 where prominent , famous people are interviewed. They are castaways who can choose eight records, a book and a luxury to take with them to a  mythical desert island.

Do have a listen

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/features/desert-island-discs

The programme began in 1942....and deservedly is still going strong. On the website you can listen to some real jewels  ...what about the actress Margaret Lockwood, the conductor Sir Malcolm Sergeant , the opera singer Joan Sutherland and war hero Field Marshall Viscount Montgomery of Alamein from wayback in the archive?

More up to date castaways include Dawn French (she cried ) and Dustin Hoffman .....there's so many different personalities..and you can learn so much about who they really are by skilful interviewing as they remember their favourite music.

Ah, music....with today's track, you get two groups for the price of one. Both with a fine back catalogue, which I often listen to. Chicago plus Earth, Wind and Fire came together about six or seven years ago... - here they are with "Beginnings". I would have loved to have been in the audience for this.....

 

8 comments:

  1. What a wonderful idea to listen to them from the beginning ,I didn't realise it began in 1942.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's amazing isn't it Anne? Obviously I've listened to quite a few programmes over the alsty ten years or so....but I want to get that sense of place and time, right from the beginning.....

      Delete
  2. How many years will it take you to listen to all those programmes? Thanks for the link. I may dip into a few of them. I heard Dawn French and she made me cry too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ros - I don't know how long it will take me.There aren't many recordings left from the very early days so probably not so long as you may think.

      One thing's for sure, I won't be rushing this...I would like to savour each programme....

      Delete
  3. What excellent idea! I've just been looking through some of the episodes on offer and think I'll start listening back through the archive too... although not in order!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh great, we'll be able to compare notes!but I'm going through in order....it will be a lovely aural romp through history.... In terms of time, ideas, social mores ...

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a lovely resolution Bridget. I may join you on your journey from time to time. Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy New Year to you too Alex....yes, do have a listen....I've started this week...absolutely fascinating!

    ReplyDelete